Assistant Editor – Sociology and Geography
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the highly successful Scholarly Division at Palgrave Macmillan, a leading global publisher in the humanities, business and social sciences. We are looking to recruit an ambitious, enthusiastic and highly organised Assistant Editor within our social sciences team to support our Publisher for Sociology, and to take responsibility for commissioning for our Geography list.
The Assistant Editor will provide valuable support to the Publisher, managing the frontlist and review process, as well as building good working relationships with authors and handling day-to-day administration.
This is also an exciting opportunity for someone early in their career to further their commissioning skills by taking responsibility for shaping and developing a key burgeoning area of our social sciences programme.
Although some experience in commissioning or market research would be welcome we are primarily looking for someone who shows real potential for developing a career in an Editorial role.
Your key responsibilities will include:
• Managing editorial processes and the peer review process for new proposals
• Managing the frontlist and preparing final typescripts for handover to Production
• Writing and editing cover copy and blurbs
• Liaising with authors and colleagues in Sales, Marketing, Production and Editorial Departments
• Campus calling and conference trips as required to pro-actively build relationships with the Geography scholarly community and commission to a set target
The ideal applicant will:
• Have previous experience of working within an Editorial Department, or another related Department
• Have excellent communication and team-working skills to deal with people at all levels both in the company and externally within the academic community
• Be able to organise and prioritise numerous tasks
• Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
• Be able to demonstrate good publishing business awareness and the ability to learn quickly
• Be able to work on their own initiative, as well as part of a team
• Show real potential for developing within a commissioning role
This is an ideal second job for someone looking to progress from an entry-level position in publishing.
This position will be based in Basingstoke and will be transferred to a Macmillan London office location, by the end of 2014. Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the United Kingdom. The level of appointment will be commensurate with experience.
Please apply by uploading your CV, and a covering letter stating current salary. For more information about the Macmillan group click here to visit our website.